Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Princess and the Pea or Don't Ladder Get to You


I think I've given 'people who don't know what they're saying' ample time to reply, and he/she/they haven't so we're moving on.
About a week ago I was asked if I wanted to trade my bed to a family member for a bigger one.
Sure.
I was told there was a mattress and box spring in the garage at my parents house if I needed it (I do) and I could get it whenever.
Cool.
I make the trip after doctors appointment yesterday (more on that later) and get the bed frame. Then to the folks to get what turns out to be a set of springs from 19 Hundred and, oh, I'd say 64 or so, and the "mattress" from a year or so later.
The mattress, as luck would have it, is not a mattress at all.
It's a 2 inch thick foam mat.

(It's like an inmate mattress!)

Now I'm smurfed.

My mother swears there was a mattress up there (garage loft) but I'm guessing she's entering early stages of Alzheimer's, or dementia, I'm not sure which.

Get everything near the house.
Take the old bed apart, take it to the garage, put it in the loft.
(Keep in mind here, folks, my finger is still broken w/ pin and splinted.)
Put the frame together, 1964 spring, mat, and a air mattress I bought for camping some 4 years ago and only used once.


Bed frame off ground - 10 inches
Springs - 8 inches
(What do you call a guy with no arms or legs laying in front of the door?) Mat - 2 inches
Air Mattress - 2 FEET
Needing a ladder to climb into bed - ANNOYING

Now I'm REALLY smurfed.
I'm smurfing smurfed.
Smurf this smurf, I'm out.

IDEA: We'll let the air out of the mattress, take the whole thing apart and move it, then set up the air mattress and sleep on that till we procure a new mattress and BOX spring.

But first...

Tell Bella Donna, "It's a nice night, lets go for a ride."
She agrees.
I'm so smurfed I'm turning blue, apparently.

So we decide to take the old back country roads to a neighboring town and cruise thorough the park then country road on back home.
A nice relaxing ride to finish off the day.
It really was a nice idea, until the roads were dark and we were the only light out.
And that's when IT happened.

BUGS!

Beatles raining from the sky like... well, almost like rain.
Hitting me in the chest with paintball like force. (which was fine)
But when one went down Bella Donna's shirt, an easy task given her ample cleavage, she panicked and almost bailed off the scooter.
I stopped, she freaked, got it out, and we turned around and headed back for the lights of town.

Still made it to the park, still managed to relax.

Got home and she decided to bake a cake whilst I deflated the mattress and figured a place to put the antique bed frame given the impending storm.
I deflate and move the air mattress to the laundry room, then go and sit on my spring and mat.

It's comfortable.
"Bella Donna! Come in here."
"What?"
"Lay down on this, it's like a springy mattress with a big ol pillow top!"
"Wow, that is nice."

So we decide to put the air mattress up and give the pillow top a try.
Slept great.
I was so relaxed I woke up sometime in the night and felt my back pop about 3 times.

We're gonna keep it.




Isn't THAT sexy?
That's the finger, out of it's wrapping paper.
Got the dressing changed and told the doctor I'm ready to go back to work.

Three weeks ago he said it's not healing, so I accept the fact that we may be cutting the tip off.
I accept it so well that I told him, "Lets just cut the tip off, doc."
He informs me it's taking a turn for the better and starting to show signs of healing.
Give it 2 more weeks he says, and we'll do some rehab on it, a little exercise, and see if we can get it moving.
If it falls apart, we may have to remove it, but lets give that sucker a fighting chance.

I don't wanna.
I want to get back to work.
Get some overtime.
Maybe even learn my new job.

But he's persistent.

So in another 2 weeks, maybe I'll try to get the tip cut off again.
But, that's the update.


Until next time...

"That's the news, goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow."


Don't let 'em getcha.

V.V.

4 comments:

JustRex said...

Ok, that's one nasty looking digit you got there. I'm glad I didn't look at it last night. I can't wait until you start the new job. You'll have plenty to say here, I'm sure. The wife, when she worked up there, had a tale to tell almost every night. Heal, dammit!

JustRex said...

Bella Donna...... snicker snicker... does she know you call her that?

Vinnie Vinnetti said...

Rev - I agree it's kinda PG-13 or so, but at least it's still there.
And yes, I call her that to her face.
And she knows what it is.
But she says it's better then Belle. (short for Beelzebub)
Hahahaha!!!

JustRex said...

Bella Donna aka Deadly Nightshade. Sounds like a comic book character. Hmmm... heroine or villainess? Her secret power... she makes men feel guilty until they lop off their own body parts in remorse. Her Arch-Nemesis? The Mysterious Frog Boy who is on the loose again! Stay tuned to the next chapter!