Monday, June 15, 2009

If You're in a Happy Relationship, Thank an Ex

I was just thinking about all the things I do that get on my (future) wife's nerves.
How I've grown up from my first girlfriend and how little by little, I am becoming the man I want to be.

But it didn't happen overnight.

Actually, this began with me reading over all my previous posts and seeing how I've grown just here.

Then, as often happens, one thought led to another and I thought of people who have influenced my life.
An ex that, when we were together, told me something is wrong with boots and shorts.
One that taught me what it meant to be responsible.
One that taught me what "through better or worse" really meant.

And I thought about Bella.

We've both had rough pasts and talked about meeting each other before.
What would be different?
Would it be better or worse?

In the end I think if it hadn't been for everyone we met before, we wouldn't have the person we have now.

It's been said, and everyone has heard, there;s someone for everyone.

Some people believe in "The One."
That fabled one perfect person made just for them.
And some may think, "From the billions of people, how will I ever find that one?"
There's some truth to the old saying, though it isn't exactly like it seems.

Through all the mistakes of our previous relationships, we find what we like, and don't like, about the opposite sex.
At the same time learning to better ourselves, and be better, for the next.


Sometime, throughout the day, or week, or anytime really, take a minute and think about an ex, and what you learned from them.
Something that helped you get from them to now.

For me, maybe it was one that taught me what it meant to give without expecting anything in return, maybe it was the one that taught me laughing will ease stress from the tightest places, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the one that taught me to love like a child.

Mind always open, heart always new and fresh, like it's never been broken, and like it's never seen pain.
Ready for the new, mindful of the old, and strong.
Love like you've never loved before.

Everyday.


V.V.

5 comments:

JustRex said...

You really startle me sometimes. I forget that you have depth. Keep it up, but give me a bit of warning first next time. I'm not used to that sort of thing around here.

JustRex said...

And I'm sure all of my exe's are thinking "Man, I am so happy I didn't stay with that yutz!" Mostly all I got from them was how to be angry and resentful. They wanted to mold me into something I wasn't. The future ex I have now is the only one willing to let me be me.

Vinnie Vinnetti said...

Eh, it happens.
Without a little substance it'd just be a blog about nothing.
I'd have a Seinfeld Blog.

JustRex said...

ooooh! Oooooh! Hey hey hey Vinnie! Can I be Cramer?

Peggy Sue said...

I totally want to be Elaine!! I've got the sarcasm down pat, and I think I could be that self-centered. Oh, and I can't dance worth a crap!!